We at Rock and Stones are extremely proud to announce that this festive season we are supporting the Ghetto Classics, a flagship programme of the Art of Music Foundation. The Ghetto Classics is a community programme that involves over 500 children in Korogocho - one of Kenya’s biggest slums that is home to about 300,000 urban poor and over 1000 more children in 9 satellite areas around Nairobi, 1 in Kiambu and 4 in Mombasa, through the Orchestra for Schools Initiative.
The Festive Season is fast approaching and we encourage you to think through your gifts. Where were they made? Who were they made by and do they give back? At Rock and Stones, we aren't just a brand that sells shorts, with every garment that is sold the company pledges to give a specific percentage back to community initiatives and to conservation projects all over Kenya. We are a brand that is giving back’ to the community from which it grew.
We hope that by ‘giving back’ it will make a difference to the lives of the people of Kenya as well as making contributions more directly to ‘conservation’ and 'community initiatives' in its home country.
The Ghetto Classics uses music education to provide the youth with opportunities to better themselves and their community. We do this by instilling in them the life skills that come with the discipline of studying art music. Our programme also provides them with income-generating opportunities.
The main objectives of the program are:
- To support St John primary school and Korogocho community as a whole with music knowledge and skills.
- To create oneness and harmony between students, school systems/administration and the community by using music as a merging tool for larger social transformation.
- To engage young people in sustainable projects and promote a fair and just society, where they are equitably engaged in social-economic development programs.
- To bring people from all races, communities together to form a formidable foundation with the aim of making music a part of the culture in the Korogocho community and the other underprivileged areas in which we operate.
- To expand the program through the Link Up project teaching the Carnegie Hall Orchestra moves curriculum across Kenya.
- To replicate the Ghetto Classics model across different underprivileged communities across Kenya
5% of our October, November and December sales will be donated to the Ghetto Classics project. The money raised during this period will be used to purchase more instruments for the project, in particular, Cellos. So what are you waiting for happy shopping :) ooh and p.s. we have a whole new range of stock on our website :).