On Saturday we celebrated #WorldOceansDay!
People around our blue planet celebrated and honoured the ocean, which connects us all.
So we pulled 10 fantastic facts about our incredible ocean and here they are:
- Did you know that our oceans cover 70% of the Earth’s Surface?
- That the majority of life on Earth is aquatic?
- Wow! Less than 5% of the planet’s oceans have been explored?
- The world’s longest Mountain chain is found underwater? The Mid Ocean Ridge is almost entirely beneath the ocean and it stretches across a distance 65,000 kilometres.
- There are more historic artefacts under the sea than in all the worlds museums
- We still only know a fraction of the marine species found in our oceans. Some scientists suggest that there could actually be millions of marine life forms out there.
- Over 70% of our planet’s oxygen is produced by the ocean, even more of a reason to protect our ocean.
- It is possible to find rivers and lakes beneath the ocean
- Around 50% of the US lives beneath the ocean
- The Pacific Ocean is the world’s largest ocean, it covers 30% of the earth’s surface and it contains around 25,000 islands… Time to pack a pair of Rock and Stones shorts and go island hopping we think…
Did you know that Rock and Stones is currently supporting the Kuruwitu Conservation & Welfare Association (KCWA)
KCWA is a sustainable, multiple-use community managed marine conservation project on Kenya’s north coast that supports environmental, socio-economic and cultural needs of all stakeholders.
“People protect what they love.” Jacques Cousteau
5% of our sales will be donated to KWCA to help them continue working towards protecting our ocean.
Rock and Stones are helping protect the ocean one pair of shorts and Zzz pants at a time.
Thanks to The Goodlife from Trafalgar for all these awesome facts, to read the full article click here.